Saturday, March 12, 2011

so im working on a portrait for a friend

Its actually alot harder than i thought. My concept going in was to exemplify the natural insanity that makes her, her. With that in mind it went about selecting a picture to start my design, and herein lies the rub. She's a model. She literally has hundreds of pictures to choose from, and besides that she's a picture hoarder and an internet socialite. So that exponentially increases my number of choices.

With that in mind I started weeding away the impossibles; group shots, too low lighting, too high lighting and other such categories. I narrowed it down to 3 possible pictures. Then I had to decide which was the best suited for my purposes. I come down to a camera phone shot of her in a parking lot. strange? I know.

Now, I have my picture and a concept. I set off to the lab!(my desktop linux box) With that concept I design a stencil. I think it really brings out what i like in her. Now the real problem. I have no real history with background and I'm at a loss creatively. I have some ideas but nothing that really forms into a cohesive unit. I guess the reason I'm putting this down is to iron out my idea of what it should mean.

No comments: